World Hepatitis Day 2023
What is World Hepatitis Day?
World Hepatitis Day (WHD) takes place annually on 28 July to raise awareness about viral hepatitis.
Every year, The Hepatitis C Trust comes together with our NHS partners, charities, and organisations from around the world to talk about the impact of hepatitis in our communities. We aim to raise awareness about the hurdles people affected by hepatitis face, and overcome, every single day.
What does ‘Don’t miss the target’ mean?
Our theme for WHD this year is ‘Don’t miss the target’.
The UK Government has set the ambitious target of eliminating hepatitis C as a public health concern in England by 2025. Scotland aims to reach this target by 2024/25, Northern Ireland by 2025 and Wales by 2030.
Hundreds of people across the country are working tirelessly to find, test and treat people for hepatitis C in order to reach this goal.
But there is still more work to do.
To make sure that we don’t miss the target, we are calling on UK governments to develop a National Hepatitis C Strategy to:
- make sure that we eliminate hepatitis C and maintain elimination over the long term
- ensure funding for NHS England’s world-leading hepatitis C elimination programme continues until this goal has been achieved
- tackle the stigma and health inequalities faced by people at risk of hepatitis C
- launch a national campaign to find, test and treat everyone who has hepatitis C; including people who had blood transfusions before the early 1990s.
How can I get involved?
There are lots of ways to get involved with World Hepatitis Day this year.
Add your voice to our call for a Hepatitis C Strategy.
Write to your MP and ask them to support an action plan for reaching and maintaining elimination.
write to my mp
Use our template email to contact your MP about a Hepatitis C Strategy
This year we are challenging fundraisers to set their own targets in order to raise money to support our peer volunteer programme.
You might decide to:
- Walk 500 miles (and then walk 500 more!)
- Climb a local mountain
- Wear something purple
- Set up a baking competition
- Organise your own water balloon target practice competition
- Or create your own fundraising ideas!
Set up a JustGiving page and you can start collecting donations straight away.